A couple weeks back the gang and I got busy with Louis Roots – head honcho of Australian gamer punk collective SK Games. As the first stop on his international tour of alternative gaming communities, Cape Town welcomed Louis with a Super Friendship Arcade where we joined forces and brought people together for a night of custom controllers, weird games and high fives.
The night was documented by Jamie-Dimitra Ashton. Her pictures speak volumes about our ramshackle arcade, the wonderful people that filled it and the awe and joy shared during the night. For me, having worked pretty tirelessly over the course of the night, it’s pretty damn incredible seeing the impact of our endeavors on these faces.
While I think Jamie’s pics tell you most everything you need to know about how this night went, I will mention a couple of observations:
1) It was super lame not having SFA dad, Peter-Cardwell Gardner there.
2) Seeing Louis in action was a true inspiration. He’s a proper wizard.
3) Louis seemed pretty damn stoked on what we’re doing. Yay Cape Town!
4) We wanna collab with more kindred spirits from abroad.
5) Tiny toy whales make for great controllers.
I’ll do a proper post on it soon, but if you didn’t know, we’re bringing our game punk circus to Joburg, and it’s gonna be magic!
Mehrgerzerd-sized high-fives to Jamie for the fantastic pics! Check out more of her great work here and read about her time at the party here!